In ERwin v7.x it was easy to delete an entity/table from a Subject Area (SA); one could simply select a table and delete it which prompted the option of either deleting it from a SA or the whole model. In ERwin r8.x and later it prompts to be deleted from either a Diagram or the model but not from that SA. How can one delete an entity/table from a SA, but not from the model, in ERwin r8 and later?
First, why this difference? In ERwin version 7.x and earlier the Diagrams were represented by Stored Displays (SD) and each SD in a SA was interconnected. So, every entity/table in a SA was available in all SDs in that SA. So, when an entity/table was deleted it was essentially being deleted from EACH SD in that SA and there was no way to delete an entity/table from just one SD. Therefore, the only options were to either delete it from a SA or the model. In ERwin r8.x and later, Diagrams (formerly SDs) are now independent making it possible to delete an option to either delete it from a Diagram, a SA or the model. In fact there is more than one way to delete it from a SA and here is how to do it.
Deleting an entity/table from a Subject Area(SA):
- Highlight the entity/table in the Diagram, go to Edit and select the desired option- to delete it from a Diagram, SA or the model. In the screen shot below, entity MOVIE_STORE is highlighted.
1. In Model Explorer, switch to the Subject Area (SA) view:
2. Highlight the entity/table to be deleted, click on Right Mouse Button (RMB) and select the option ‘Go To Model Explorer’
3. This will highlight the entity in Model Explorer under the SA the entity/table is in.
4. You can then Right Mouse Button (RMB) and delete it from there.
5. You will be prompted with the following options:
So, the functionality of deleting objects in a Subject Area is enhanced with ERwin v 8.x and later.