The erwin design layers method allows modelers to use division of labor to achieve more in less time. Break down your larger enterprise models into multiple smaller models (using the derive model functionality based on the subject areas in your larger model). Keep your enterprise model while your Team works on the smaller models. Later, use sync with model source to synchronize your model changes from the smaller models into the larger models (and any changes from the larger models to the smaller models) on a regular basis.
- Result in greater focus and quicker modeling.
- Allow greater separation of data so one modeler does not interfere with the other modelers.
- Consumes less memory.
- Can be subdivided into even smaller models.
NOTE: you can also use the link with model source functionality to make one model a source of another model.
- ERworld 2012 Encore Presentation on Design Layers: Enabling Data Architecture understanding for both business and IT by Casey Gwozdz Video PDF
- Session Code: AFM70LN Get the most out of ERwin Data Modeler Design Layer Architecture features by Dorel Chiorean. Although dated, the concepts still apply and this presentation demonstrates it well.
- ERwin Design Layers (ERwin Bookshelf)